Support and consistently reinforce T.E. Stevens Construction’s Core Values. Assist estimating team in the preparation of construction estimates. Support estimating team by soliciting subcontractor bids, evaluating scopes of work, reviewing project plans and specifications.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate proficiency in reading and interpreting project plans.
- Review drawings and specifications for compatibility, errors, omissions and conformance.
- Demonstrate understanding of project specifications.
- Set up new projects, while maintaining ongoing projects in the Smart-Bid system.
- Maintain constant communication with subcontractors to ensure thorough and timely responses.
- Assist new subcontractors with the pre-qualification process, continuously verifying bid status throughout.
- Reply to subcontractor inquiries throughout bid process, escalating to senior estimators as needed.
- Demonstrate familiarity with departmental standards and forms understanding why, when and how they are used.
- Prepare scopes of work for basic bid packages with limited oversight and submit to subcontractors for inclusion in pricing.
- Collect bids in a timely manner and review for accuracy and completion.
- Review scope sheets for omissions or missing data points, updating accordingly.
- Coordinate scope review with other estimators to prevent duplications or omissions.
- Incorporate all addenda and RFI responses into final estimate.
- Acquire the ability to price work appropriately by evaluating crews, material pricing, equipment costs, productivity factors, labor rates, taxes and insurance, mark-ups, etc.
- Manage multiple ongoing tasks simultaneously.
- Assess industry trends and potential impact on future projects.
- Prepare a detailed list of qualifications and clarifications for scopes assigned and include in the final version submitted to the client.
- Initiate value engineering suggestions from subcontractors and follow up to confirm validity.
- Follow up with subcontractors not awarded the project to maintain an ongoing, collaborative relationship.
- Perform product research as needed.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering, architecture, or related field preferred.
- Prior experience as an estimator or project engineer for a general contractor or major subcontractor preferred.
- Field experience in the construction industry required.